Thursday, April 12, 2007

My Hero's are falling

Johny Hart died last weekend. in a profile I read of his years ago he (I paraphrase here because I can) said that his B.C. comic was much harder to draw than other strips because he used minimal background. if you draw every leaf on a tree, no one notices if they aren't all perfect, if all you have is a horizon line, it better be in the right place. I instantly started to teach myself(Unsucessfuly) to be a minimalist.
Last night kurt vonnegut died. I read slaughterhouse 5 because john lithgow called it perverse and obscene in "Footloose" (forgive me) I read everything else because I found something that spoke to my cynical hopefulness. and hoplessness. I also learned that even the most secondary background character in every story has a life, a story, loves, fears, dreams and doubts.
these things come in threes. I don't know who is next, but this has been a sad week for me.

We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.
Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

No comments: